NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: August 18, 2021
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Specialist Instructors (Arts, STEM, Chess, Martial Arts, Dance, Yoga, and Music), Division of Community Schools|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||2-19.5 hours per week (Afternoons ranging from 1:30-6pm)|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Share mastery level of an art form with students for enrichment afterschool classes
- Be responsible for the overall management of your assigned afterschool enrichment class.
- Supervise and manage assistants and high school youth assigned to the classroom.
- Develop and implement a quality age-appropriate curriculum in a specialty area
- Directly supervise the safety of children
- Participate in all program/ activities
- Help create an environment that fosters a positive self-image and respects the social and cultural differences of each child and values each child's strengths, needs, differences, and similarities.
- Maintain an open, friendly, on-going communication with families about the progress of participants
- Supervise participants during snack/lunch periods
- Take daily attendance
- Participate in scheduled staff meetings and professional development.
- Responsible for classroom maintenance, equipment, and supplies
- Report any out-of-the-ordinary incidents and accidents to program administrators.
- Be available for some Early Release Day events, February and April School vacation weeks and evening events.
- Follow and uphold all COVID 19 safety protocol and guidelines as outlined by the Dept. of Health and Safety, the Department of Human Service Programs, and the Cambridge Public Schools.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Be at least 20 years of age. Mastery level of specialty. Have at least one-year experience working with school age children. Experience working with children with special needs desirable and should have a strong interest in working with children from diverse cultural & economic backgrounds. First Aid and CPR certification highly desired (First Aid & CPR training available upon hire). The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) and Sexual Offender Record (SORI) required. Physical and TB Test required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT:The noise level in work environment is moderate to loud. The work environment includes classroom and outdoor playgrounds and occasional field trips.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, walk, talk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to run, during play or responding to an emergency. Employees are frequently required to engage with children on the floor and at their eye level. Employees are frequently required to use their hands and arms to handle and manipulate objects as well as reach. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move a child. Vision abilities are required for supervision of children.
RATE: Hourly rate based on specialty and experience
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and cover letter; external applicants submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Review of resumes is ongoing. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. THE CITY IS COMMITTED TO ADVANCING A WORKFORCE CULTURE OF ANTIRACISM, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.