NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: February 27, 2023
RESUME AND COVER LETTER REQUESTED BY: 03/24/23 via email to: email@example.com POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Community Development Department|
||Urban Design Intern|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||up to 19 hours / week. Temporary position starting March 2023 (exact date negotiable).|
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT:
The Community Development Department (CDD) is the planning agency for the City of Cambridge. Encompassing the Community Planning, Economic Opportunity and Development, Environmental & Transportation Planning, Housing, and Zoning & Development divisions, CDD's mission is to foster a livable, sustainable, just, and equitable community. CDD engages and collaborates with community partners, other government agencies, businesses, and residents to make Cambridge a desirable place to live, work, learn, play, and innovate.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Community Planning Division provides planning and design services related to citywide and neighborhood planning, urban design, and parks and open space. The Urban Design Intern will conduct project work and analysis for the City on topics related to urban design and development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Assist in reviews of major development projects.
- Assist in preparing urban design guidelines.
- Research, analyze, and summarize urban design/architecture best practices and precedents.
- Prepare 3d drawings, maps, illustrations, reports, meeting materials, and presentations.
- Participate in meetings related to urban design policies and projects.
- Prepare three-dimensional massing studies and area planning studies.
- Other design and planning duties may be assigned, as necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Education & Experience:
- Current student pursuing a degree in urban design, architecture, building design, or landscape architecture, or a recent graduate.
- Professional experience, or an interest in architecture or urban design, is highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proficiency in 3d modeling software such as Rhino, AutoCAD, and SketchUp.
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and other rendering software.
- Basic knowledge of architectural design, methods of construction and materials.
- Basic understanding of urban design principles and theory.
- Ability to work independently.
- The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involved is primarily indoors in a professional office setting. Standard office environment with fluorescent lighting, air conditioning, and moderate noise level. This position may be eligible for hybrid work under the City's Telework Policy, depending on operational needs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to read and analyze large quantities of information. Must have sufficient mobility to get back and forth from office. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
RATE: 18.41/ hour (rate is effective 3/1/23). Sick leave eligible; otherwise this is a non-benefitted position.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of your resume and cover letter. External applicants submit your resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 03/24/23. Position will remain open until filled. Work sample/portfolio will be requested at the time of an interview.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.