NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: February 8, 2022
LABOR APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED ON ONGOING BASIS
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Highway Maintenance Crafts Worker/Heavy MEO|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||Local 25 Teamsters Union |
|Hours Per Week:
||40 hour week|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Working Supervisor performs skilled manual work requiring journeyworker level skills in the construction and repair of roads, streets, and sidewalks; and journeyworker level work in masonry, carpentry, and other related construction work; does excavating, bracing, and grading; spreads stone; rakes asphalt; constructs cement and brick sidewalks; sets edge stones; repairs utility covers and drains; operates motor vehicle equipment with a rated capacity of 26,001 pounds including asphalt hot box truck, pickup trucks, dump trucks, and panel trucks and performs other semi-skilled and unskilled manual tasks necessary for performance of work. May supervise a small crew of workers at a lower skill level such as laborers, helpers, and maintenance workers. Performs other duties as required from time to time including snow and other inclement weather or emergency duties.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of two years of experience in the construction and repair of roads, streets, and sidewalks required. Experienced journey level skill in masonry, carpentry, and other related construction work.
- Must possess a current and valid Massachusetts Commercial Driver's License Classification B license
- Must present a valid Department of Transportation medical certificate
- Must possess a satisfactory driving record
- Candidates must also provide, upon interview, a copy of their unattested driving record, obtainable at the RMMV and dated within the previous six months
- Candidates may need to register with the FMCSA Commercial Driver's License Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register
- All candidates will participate in an on-road driving assessment as part of the interview process
- Competitive Health, Dental and Vision benefits
- Vacation and sick leave eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Additional compensation above regular OT pay for all overtime hours working in snow or salting operations
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: All labor positions, skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled in the Cambridge Department of Public Works require a combination of: lifting between 25-100 pounds, bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, dragging, and pulling. Employee will be exposed to all weather conditions and will work in a moderate to high noise level environment caused by sound of machinery or powered equipment being used. Occasional odor may occur during the course of work. Employee is required to adhere to all safety and dress code policies.
RATE: $23.17 - $31.38 per hour + excellent benefits (rate is effective 1/1/23)
Internal applicants with permanent civil service status submit a job bidding form, resume and cover letter; external applicants, complete a labor service application form (click on link) available from and returned to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139 or submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax 617-349-4312. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.