NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: February 9, 2022
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Lifeguard, Division of Recreation|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||up to 19.5 hrs/wk – Part Time/Seasonal position|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises the activities of swimmers by enforcing pool safety rules and regulations
- Teaches Swim lessons as needed at both the indoor War Memorial pools and our outdoor pool in the summer (WSI certification within 12 months of hire preferred)
- Maintains constant surveillance of patrons in recreation facilities
- Warns swimmers of improper activities or hazards
- Prevents injuries by minimizing or eliminating hazardous situations or behaviors
- Able to identify swimmers in distress, perform the appropriate save and provide necessary care
- Notifies appropriate personnel of any accidents, rescues, or problems that have arisen, equipment repairs needed, or facility maintenance required
- Answers inquiries pertaining to use of pool and deals with patron issues in a respectful way
- Works effectively with other lifeguards or staff and attends staff meetings as needed.
- Performs additional duties as required (i.e upkeep of office space, performing in service trainings)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Current American Red Cross Certificates in Lifeguarding and CPR/FPR. Must be at least 16 years old, and able to pass swim test administered by department. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations, follow instructions and communicate effectively with the public required.
The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, kneel, stand, stoop, communicate, reach and manipulate objects. This position requires mobility and an ability to deliver swim lessons to swimmers of various skill levels. Duties require attentiveness to visual and audible cues for recognition and identification of swimmers in distress or in process of unsafe behaviors. The position requires proficient swimming ability and the proper application of rescue and first-aid technique as well as the ability to properly extract victims from the pool(s) to the deck and move equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Chlorinated Natatorium including lighting and heating/cooling systems.
RATE: $20-$22 hour
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and cover letter; external applicants submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Review of resumes is ongoing. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.