NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: February 11, 2022
LABOR APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED ONGOING BASIS
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Tree Climber MEOIIA (Two Positions)|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
||Teamsters Union Local 25 |
|Hours Per Week:
||40 - hour week, Monday – Friday 7:00am – 3:00pm|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Superintendent of Urban Forestry and Landscapes, performs semi-skilled manual labor in connection with the general care of trees where climbing is required. Cuts trees, repairs, and trims trees and shrubs; performs related tasks in the repair, maintenance, and care of trees and shrubs. Uses a variety of power and hand tools necessary to perform tree care and maintenance. Operates backhoes, small excavators, pick-up trucks, dump trucks, bucket trucks, and panel trucks, or other vehicles with a rated capacity of 26,001 pounds.
Performs other semi-skilled and unskilled manual tasks necessary for performance of work. May supervise a small crew of workers at a lower skill level such as laborers, helpers, and maintenance workers. Performs other duties as required from time to time including snow and other inclement weather or emergency duties.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- One year of tree climbing experience. Department may conduct practical assessment to confirm skill level.
- Must possess a current and valid Commercial Driver's License Classification B
- Must possess a 1-B Hoisting Engineer License
- Must present a valid Department of Transportation medical certificate.
- Must possess a satisfactory driving record
- Candidates must also provide, upon interview, a copy of their unattested driving record, obtainable at the RMV and dated within the previous six months
- Candidates may need to register with the FMCSA Commercial Driver's License Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register
- All candidates will participate in an on-road driving assessment as part of the interview process.
- Internal applicants must have a permanent civil service status
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS (As Outlined in Current Teamster Collective Bargaining Agreement):
- Competitive Health, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Vacation and Sick Leave Eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay Eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Clothing Allowance, $1500 per year (7/1/22 rolled into base wages)
- Annual bonus for required CDL and valid DOT medical certificate
- Additional compensation above regular OT for all overtime hours working in snow or salting operations
- Additional compensation for hoisting and engineering licenses that are not a requirement of the position
- Additional compensation of approximately $5162 annually for an arborist certification
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
All labor positions, skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled in the Cambridge Department of Public Works require a combination of: lifting between 25-100 pounds, proper bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, climbing, dragging, and pulling. Exposure to all weather conditions, Work in a moderate to high noise level environment caused by sound of machinery or powered equipment being used. Occasional odor may occur during work. Required to adhere to all safety rules and regulations as well as dress code policies. Perform other related duties as assigned.
RATE: $27.60 - $32.22 per hour
Internal applicants with permanent civil service status submit a job bidding form, resume and cover letter; external applicants, complete a labor service application form (click on link) available from and returned to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139 or submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org Fax 617-349-4312. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. THE CITY IS COMMITTED TO ADVANCING A WORKFORCE CULTURE OF ANTIRACISM, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.