NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: May 6, 2022
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Youth Workers – Pre-Teen (Summer Positions)|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hours per week; June -August|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for leading a team of 10-15 summer youth program participants (rising 4th graders through rising 8th graders or 9-13 years old) through a 6-8-week summer enrichment program that includes educational, recreational, art, community exploration/service and field trip activities. Youth Workers will specifically:
- Help develop, implement, and lead summer program activities including recreation and field trips.
- Work with other program staff to help plan and implement summer program primary events. Events will consist of field day Olympics, parent's night, and summers end celebration.
- Keep accurate and detailed records documenting participant's involvement. This will entail documenting programmed activities, filling out incident reports, collecting and filling out attendance sheets and collecting data for the evaluation of summer program activities.
- Maintain facilities and equipment.
- Provide a safe structured and stimulating environment for youth center members and volunteers.
- Attend and participate fully in staff meetings, planning sessions, other meetings, staff development and training programs and activities as directed.
- Be a positive role model to youth and develop meaningful relationships with youth center members.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Prior experience working with elementary and middle school youth in an academic, recreational, or athletic setting. Should have outstanding leadership, organizational, and team building skills. HS Diploma/GED required. Familiarity with Cambridge neighborhoods preferred. The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Main work environment is a busy, often very noisy Youth Center. Youth Centers include classroom like settings, open environments & gymnasium.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to lift fifty pounds and participate in various sport and recreational activities that require physical exertion.
RATE: $20.00 per hour
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and cover letter; external applicants submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Review of resumes is ongoing. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.