NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: September 8, 2022
RESUME AND COVER LETTER REQUESTED BY: 10/11/22 via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org POSITION WILL RMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Plumber I /Journeyman (2 positions)|
||C715-001 & C715-002|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||Local 25 |
|Hours Per Week:
||40 hour workweek, 7AM – 3:00 PM|
Under general supervision:
- Installs, removes, and maintains plumbing systems including piping fixtures, fixed appliances, ventilation systems, drainage, sanitary fixtures and heating systems; maintains necessary working permits and records; orders necessary materials and supplies.
- Confers with supervisors and department personnel to determine scheduling and time to complete a project, the work to be accomplished; plans and schedules repairs.
- Repairs hot water tanks and systems to ensure that proper construction, regulation, and safety requirements are met; ascertains sufficient tank pressure and efficiency; checks valves, gauges and shut offs to ensure parts are in proper working condition.
- Engages in the installation of assigned building drainage connections to sewerage systems by following local regulations and guidelines.
- Selects appropriate materials to be used for jobs and estimates costs incurred; reads and interprets blueprints and shop drawings.
- Responds to emergency calls and takes appropriate action.
- Repairs water pipes and makes necessary connections; maintains plumbing systems; repairs and replaces defective and leaky water and drainpipes.
- Repairs and replaces valves, faucets, sinks, bubblers, tanks, and fixtures.
- Replaces gaskets, washers; opens clogged drains; attaches pipe assemblies to walls.
- Assembles, bolts, or solders valves, coupling, pipe sections and other parts.
- Connects plumbing fixtures to outlets and seals connections.
- Performs other manual duties related to the plumbing trade.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Applicant must have two years of experience as a plumber and possess a current and valid Journeyman or Master Plumber's License issued through the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Registration by the Board of State Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters at the time of application.
- Competitive Health, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Vacation and Sick Leave Eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay Eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 14 Paid Holidays
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work involves bending, crawling, kneeling, reaching, twisting, lifting, pulling, and climbing.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Inside buildings and/or basements. Some work may occur in confined spaces requiring portable lighting.
RATE: $26.12 - $34.43/hour + excellent benefits (rate is effective 1/1/23)
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and cover letter; external applicants submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 10/11/22, Position will Remain Open Until Filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.