NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: June 3, 2022
LABOR APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED ON ONGOING BASIS
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Cemetery Maintenance Crafts Worker/Special MEO (Cemetery Maintenance Crafts Worker/MEO IIA)|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||Teamsters Union Local 25 |
|Hours Per Week:
||40-hour workweek. Monday – Friday 7:00am – 3:00pm.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Working Supervisor, performs journey worker level masonry skills in putting in cement foundations for monuments. Digging graves is the primary function of this position.
- Operates pick-up trucks, dump trucks, rubbish compactor trucks, small tractors, bulldozers, rollers, or other vehicles with a rated capacity of 26,001 pounds or over; panel trucks, passenger automobiles, sidewalk plows and sweepers, snow loaders, leaf loaders, snow fighters, sidewalk rollers, and road flashers.
- Operates hoisting equipment where a special license from the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety is required.
- Greases, oils, cleans, and performs other minor preventive maintenance on equipment including some servicing on the job for certain special equipment.
- Loads and unloads trucks; picks up and hauls materials; plows and sands highways.
- Cuts and trims grass; loams and seeds graves; plants flowers; straightens and levels grave markers; digs graves; and trims hedges.
- Performs a variety of unskilled labor tasks that do not require prior experience such as digging holes, trenches, and other excavations; shovels materials and levels areas; shovels snow and ice using manual or small powered equipment; spreads sand on icy areas; performs laboring duties for skilled crafts persons.
- Uses standard tools, i.e., shovels picks, axes saws, heavy wrenches, and small power tools. MEO IIA's will be assigned to work in different divisions containing the specialized equipment which they are licensed to handle, on an as needed basis.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of two years of related experience
- Must possess a current and valid Commercial Driver's License Classification B
- Must possess a current 2B Hoisting Engineer License
- Must present a valid Department of Transportation medical certificate.
- Must possess a satisfactory driving record
- Candidates must also provide, upon interview, a copy of their unattested driving record, obtainable at the RMV and dated within the previous six months
- Candidates may need to register with the FMCSA Commercial Driver's License Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register
- All candidates will participate in an on-road driving assessment as part of the interview process
- Internal applicants must have a permanent civil service status.
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of the Cemeteries
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: All labor positions, skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled in the Cambridge Department of Public Works require a combination of: Lifting between 25-100 pounds, proper bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, climbing, dragging, and pulling.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Exposure to all weather conditions. Work in a moderate to high noise level environment caused by sound of machinery or powered equipment being used. Occasional odor may occur during work.
RATE: $28.35 - $33.04 (rate is effective 07/01/22)
- Competitive Health, Dental and Vision benefits
- Vacation and sick leave eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Additional compensation above regular OT pay for all overtime hours working in snow or salting operations
Internal applicants with permanent civil service status submit a job bidding form, resume and cover letter; external applicants, complete a labor service application form (click on link) available from and returned to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139 or submit via email to email@example.com Fax 617-349-4312. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.