NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: July 26, 2022
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||City Manager's Office|
||Chief of Strategy and Implementation|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.50 hours per week. Monday 8:30 am – 8:00 pm, Tuesday through Thursday 8:30 am–5:00 pm; Friday 8:30 am – 12:00 noon|
ABOUT THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE:
Cambridge is a unique and growing urban community of 120,000 residents, making it the fourth largest city in Massachusetts. Our community is diverse, with 34% of residents identifying as people of color and 34% of residents' home language is a language other than English. The city stands out as a hub of innovation and is home to Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and an increasing number of biotechs and high-tech start-ups. The biotech corridor in Kendall Square has been called "the most innovative square mile on Earth," and has led the country in everything from the invention of rubber hoses to the development of Covid-19 vaccines.
Cambridge's City government has an annual operating budget of $800M and over 1,600 full-time employees. Cambridge has access to significant resources but is confronting similar challenges as other urban centers - rising housing costs, climate change, sustainable transportation, homelessness, and persistent economic and racial inequities. The City Council and City leadership are committed to being a leader on issues of equity and sustainability and creating a city that works for everyone.
ABOUT THE EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT:
As Cambridge's Chief Executive Officer, the City Manager supervises and manages all City Departments, recommends policies and programs to the City Council, and implements City Council legislation. The City Manager's Office collaborates with the City Council and city departments on the shared mission to serve the Cambridge community and build a better city for all.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Chief of Strategy and Implementation is a new position that will report directly to the City Manager. This position will be responsible for the organization and execution of key strategic initiatives across the city. The ideal candidate will be a curious and humble problem solver who can establish trusted and collaborative relationships with senior leaders and stakeholders, generating productive discussion, input, and alignment. The Chief of Strategy and Implementation commands strong analytic skills, is capable of using data to break down issues and illustrate solutions, and is an effective and efficient communicator. They will have the opportunity to build a high performing public sector Project Management Office / Results Delivery Office function. The Chief of Strategy and Implementation will be a member of the senior cabinet and will be accountable for the success of the city's strategic agenda.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate key strategic initiatives across city departments, including the creation and management of high performing cross-functional teams, coordination of research and data analytics, and the development and implementation of solutions
- Communicate with all stakeholders about the status of major milestones, potential project risk or delays, and proposed mitigation strategies and contingency plans
- Provide support and direction to initiative teams and conduct regular status meetings with key stakeholders to review project activities.
- Work with city leadership to ensure appropriate resourcing for initiatives, using internal resources and external partnerships/vendors
- Employ best practices around process Improvement, team management and communications.
- Implement and manage project dashboards, status reporting, and communication materials for key governance and strategy meetings
- Establish an office of strategy and implementation within City government
- Supervise staff as assigned
- Perform related duties as required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Experience and Education
- 5+ years of increasing management responsibility in a large, complex organization or management consulting
- Experience managing teams in comprehensive assignments
- Experience in project management, including the ability to identify, develop, and deploy resources across multiple initiatives and navigate complex relationships
- Track record of driving effective solution execution to complex problems and mediating alignment across stakeholders
- Advanced degree (MBA or MPA) preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated interest in public sector opportunities and challenges
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with senior leaders and subject matter experts
- Excellent communication, presentation, and analytical skills with high attention to detail
- Deep sense of humility, curiosity, and learning-orientation
- High ethical standards and personal integrity
- The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies
- Knowledge of Cambridge preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access input and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to operate office equipment including copiers, printers, and scanners. Executes multiple tasks involving keyboarding, telephones, writing, bending, reaching, and lifting boxes of files (up to 10 lbs).
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment, which includes fluorescent lighting and air conditioning. Moderate noise level, which can elevate with phone calls and walk in members of the public. Busy office work environment characterized by multiple work demands from department staff, a great deal of customer interaction, and heavy call volume. This position may be eligible for hybrid work under the City's Telework Policy depending on operational needs.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS:
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance
- Vacation and Sick leave eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay Eligible
- 3 Personal days
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Management Allowance, $2,700/year
- City employee commuter benefits (T-Pass reimbursement Bluebikes membership, EZRide Shuttle membership)
RATE: 160,000-$200,000 annually + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and cover letter; external applicants submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Review of resumes begins immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.