NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: August 17, 2022
RESUME AND COVER LETTER REQEUSTED BY: 09/20/22 POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||City Clerk's Office|
||Clerk of City Council Committees|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5. Schedule is Monday through Friday with flexible hours to accommodate Committee meetings that are held during business hours (8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) and evenings.|
OVERVIEW: This position shall act as the Clerk of all Committees, standing and special, except in cases where other provisions are specifically made. This includes the following Standing Committees: Ordinance, Finance, Government Operations, Rules & Claims, Housing, Economic Development & University Relations, Human Services and Veterans, Health & Environment, Neighborhood & Long-Term Planning, Public Facilities, Arts & Celebrations, Transportation and Public Utilities, Civic Unity, and Public Safety.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential duties and responsibilities listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Coordinate the scheduling of Committee meetings including but not limited to reserving space and notifying participants and the public and preparing and posting the Public Meeting Notice and Agenda.
- Attend all Committee meetings and serve as the Clerk, taking roll calls and recording all votes at the request of the Chair.
- Keep accurate records of the status of all matters in Committee.
- Coordinate matters that are voted out of Committee to the Full Council with the City Clerk and track all matters referred to Committee from the City Council.
- Prepare accurate minutes of all Committee meetings in a timely manner.
- Maintain committee files both in hard copy and electronically to ensure their integrity and accessibility.
- Prepare for petitioner's public hearings which includes drafting notices and submitting them for publication.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the City Clerk and the Assistant City Clerk.
- Manage virtual/hybrid meeting platforms for all Committee meetings.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires the ability to work effectively with elected and appointed officials and the public.
- The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, detail oriented, strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and customer service skills.
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of virtual/hybrid meeting platforms, and experience working with Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to multitask and pay attention to details.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the Open Meeting Law, and the Massachusetts Municipal Records Retention Schedule, Robert's Rules of Order.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn municipal laws, policies, codes, and regulations.
- Practical work experience as a Clerk in a government/legislative environment.
- Previous work with a legislative body
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer and manage multiple files n both hard copy and electronic form.
- Ability to answer telephone calls
- Ability to lift to 30 pounds of documents.
- Ability to read an analyze large quantities of information.
- Must have sufficient mobility to get back and forth from office meetings in other offices or facilities.
- Work is conducted primarily in an office environment with florescent lighting, air conditioning, computers, and other standard office equipment but also involves meetings in other offices and facilities.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS:
RATE: $56,288-$78,735 + competitive benefits package
- Health Insurance
- Dental + Vision Benefits
- Retirement Plan
- City Employee Commuter Benefits (T-Pass, Bluebikes membership, EZRide Shuttle membership)
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and cover letter; external applicants submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 09/20/22. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.