NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: September 29, 2022
LABOR APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED ON ONGOING BASIS
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Cemetery Maintenance Crafts Worker/Heavy Motor Equipment Operator (MEOI)|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||Teamster Union Local 25 |
|Hours Per Week:
||40-hour workweek, Monday – Friday 7:00 am. – 3:00 p.m.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs a variety of skills tasks in the care and maintenance of a cemetery. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plans and measures new lots.
- Performs journey worker level masonry skills in putting in cement foundations for monuments.
- Straightens tipped stones and fills in sunken graves.
- Performs skilled duties in the care and maintenance of lawns, flower beds, trees, shrubbery and performs other related manual tasks.
- Uses power mowers and hand machines.
- Performs other related unskilled tasks such as raking, watering, weeding, painting, cleaning, and snow removal.
- Performs minor maintenance of mechanical equipment and apparatus.
- Repairs mechanical equipment and apparatus
- May supervisor a small crew of workers at a lower skill level such as laborers, helpers, and maintenance workers
- Performs other duties as required from time to time including snow and other inclement weather or emergency duties.
- Operators pick up trucks, dump trucks, panel trucks, and bucket trucks or other vehicles with a related capacity of 26,001 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of two years of related experience
- Must possess a current and valid Commercial Driver's License Classification B
- Must present a valid Department of Transportation medical certificate.
- Must possess a satisfactory driving record
- Candidates must also provide, upon interview, a copy of their unattested driving record, obtainable at the RMV and dated within the previous six months
- Candidates may need to register with the FMCSA Commercial Driver's License Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register
- All candidates will participate in an on-road driving assessment as part of the interview process
- Internal applicants must have a permanent civil service status.
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of the Cemeteries
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: All labor positions, skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled in the Cambridge Department of Public Works require a combination of: Lifting between 25-100 pounds, proper bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, climbing, dragging, and pulling.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Exposure to all weather conditions. Work in a moderate to high noise level environment caused by sound of machinery or powered equipment being used. Occasional odor may occur during work.
RATE: $23.17 - $31.38 per hour + excellent benefits (rate is effective 1/1/23)
- Competitive Health, Dental and Vision benefits
- Vacation and sick leave eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Additional compensation above regular OT pay for all overtime hours working in snow or salting operations
Internal applicants with permanent civil service status submit a job bidding form, resume and cover letter; external applicants, complete a labor service application form (click on link) available from and returned to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139 or submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org Fax 617-349-4312. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.