NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: November 21, 2022
LABOR APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED ON AN ONGOING BASIS
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Working Supervisor HVAC Technician|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||Teamsters Union Local 25 |
|Hours Per Week:
||40 hours per week|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the supervision of the Superintendent of Buildings:
- Supervises a crew of workers and performs hands on tasks related to installation, repairs, and maintenance to heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment; Systems including refrigeration units, air and water filters, motor, fans, air compressors, condensers, pumps, boiler, chiller plants and automatic temperature controls.
- Inspects equipment for malfunction and makes adjustments and/or corrections.
- Checks equipment and systems for proper temperature, operation and climatic conditions.
- Lubricates motors and bearings.
- Replaces worn and defective parts; and performs related work and other tasks as required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum two (2) years demonstrated experience in institutional HVAC and Refrigeration Systems operations, maintenance, repairs, and installation.
- Certificate of completion from accredited vocational school curriculum in HVAC, Refrigeration Training Program.
- Current EPA 608 Universal Refrigerant Certification.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts License as Refrigeration Technician or Refrigeration Contractor.
- Valid Class D Driver's License.
- Experience with direct digital control-based energy management systems preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: All labor positions, skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled in the Cambridge Department of Public Works require a combination of: Lifting between 25-100 pounds, proper bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, climbing, dragging, pulling, and reaching. Ability to climb ladders.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Exposure to all weather conditions. Work in a moderate to high noise level environment caused by sound of machinery or powered equipment being used. Occasional odor may occur during work. General inside buildings environment including entry and exit into confined spaces.
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS (As Outlined in Current Teamster Collective Bargaining Agreement):
RATE: $33.65 - $45.14 per hour + excellent benefits
- Competitive Health, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Vacation and Sick Leave Eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay Eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 14 Paid Holidays
Internal applicants with permanent civil service status submit a job bidding form, resume and cover letter; external applicants, complete a labor service application form (click on link) available from and returned to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139 or submit via email to email@example.com Fax 617-349-4312. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.