NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: January 30, 2023
RESUME AND COVER LETTER REQUESTED BY 2/27/2023 VIA EMAIL TO firstname.lastname@example.org POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Personnel Analyst, Office of Planning, Budget, and Personnel|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hours per week|
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Cambridge Police Department is a dedicated and diverse group of professionals who are committed to working with the community to make the City of Cambridge a safe and desirable place to live, work, or visit. Our mission is to partner with the community to solve problems and improve public safety in a manner that is fair, impartial, transparent, and consistent.
In support of the Office of the Commissioner, this position will be working in the Office of Planning, Budget, and Personnel to assist in providing high quality and confidential management of the Department's human resources functions including payroll and personnel.
The primary function of the Personnel Analyst is to prepare, track and process Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) overtime for the Police Department. The Analyst will also assist with the duties of the Payroll Coordinator in their absence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Reconcile and audit weekly FLSA timesheets for accuracy and completeness.
- Maintain accurate payroll records and calculations of hours worked for FLSA eligible employees. Research and correction any discrepancies.
- Compute the FLSA amounts due to employees at the end of each 28 day-period.
- Prepare and enter payroll data related to FLSA.
- Keep up to date with changes in employee pay and associated impacts on employee FLSA calculations.
- Calculate and process annual true-up for FLSA payments.
- Assist in the refinement of FLSA business processes to increase efficiency and accuracy, including but not limited to the automation of processes.
- Research FLSA employment laws and regulations for the purpose of implementing procedures to maintain compliance with current legal requirements.
- Familiarize oneself with relevant policies and procedures found in the Employee Manual and Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Assist with the completion of Verification of Employment Forms
- Assists in the compilation and calculation of pertinent employee information for the purpose of ensuring accuracy of employee's compensation.
- Assist in maintaining files within the Office of Planning, Budget & Personnel including personnel, medical, benefits, payroll, and other materials.
- Provide a high level of customer service to employees in person or over the phone regarding inquiries about human resources and other matters related to the Office of Planning, Budget & Personnel.
- Act as a liaison with other City Departments such as Payroll, Benefits, Auditing, and Finance
- Assist with the Development and running of reports for fiscal year annual budget preparation as needed.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Two years of office work experience with preference in personnel, payroll and/or accounting.
- Experience with human resources/personnel work in a large organization and/or a unionized environment is highly desired, as is experience in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- City may require that candidates take and pass a computer skills proficiency test in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and/or Excel at the time of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Strong interpersonal skills are essential, including ability to maintain composure, sensitivity, confidentiality, and discretion in interactions with a wide range of individuals.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work with large volumes of information to meet deadlines.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented individual
- Ability to effectively work independently as well as in a team.
- Must have strong research and writing abilities.
- Ability to handle management and staff inquiries with diplomacy and in an effective manner.
- Ability to collaborate and support team members in a positive manner.
- The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft HR/Payroll system preferred.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS:
- Competitive health, dental and vision insurance
- Vacation and Sick Leave eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 14 Holidays
- Commuter Benefits (T-Pass reimbursement, Bluebikes membership, EZRide Shuttle membership)
- Management Allowance, $2,700 / year
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is mostly general office work. Lifting and physical exertion is minimal. Frequent telephone and personal contact with workforce. Must be able to access, input and retrieve data from a computer, compile information and print complex reports. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. This position may be eligible for hybrid work under the City's new Telework Policy, depending on operational need.
RATE: $59,075 - $81,522 annually + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and cover letter; external applicants submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 2/27/23. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.